- What happens in my first lesson?
During your first surf lesson at North Stradbroke Island, you meet one of our staff at an agreed on location and time. We then look at what you want to achieve and at what level you are at. We match you with a surf board, wet shirt, and venue.
For a total beginner:
- On the beach, we run through a familiarization drill with your surfboard
- Our main objective is to have fun in a safe way
- Surfing etiquette
- Your coach runs through surf awareness and anything on the beach or in the water of which you would need to be careful
- You’re shown how to negotiate broken waves
- Correct paddling technique
- Catching waves laying down
- Standing up technique on the beach and then out in the water on a broken wave
For intermediate to advance surfers:
- Discuss areas on which the surfer would like to improve
- Establish coaching drills to improve these areas
- Use video analysis
- How long does the lesson go?
Lessons go for approximately an hour and a half. We usually find that most people tend to peak at about the hour and are quite fatigued by an hour and half.
- Will I get up and be surfing on my first lesson?
In most cases yes you experience the feeling of standing on a board and sliding along a wave, surfing. It does depend a lot on you and your fitness level. I suggest you have one lesson and you will soon know if you have the bug and can’t wait to come back for more.
- What if I want to practice by myself before the next lesson?
Our learn to surf boards are for hire on daily and weekly rates and it’s a great idea and way to practise the skills learnt in the lessons.
- Are lessons ever cancelled due to weather?
Yes they can be. If conditions are unsafe then the lesson will not go ahead. All participants are advised to call the night before their class to confirm time and location.
- How are the lessons paid for?
Most participants pay cash on the day. Though we accept PayPal payments as well as the direct deposit to pay in advance.
- What should I bring to the lesson?
Swimmers, towel, water bottle, sunscreen, and a “have a go” attitude.
- How do I get to Point Lookout and at what beach are the lessons held?
Point Lookout is located on the eastern side of North Stradbroke Island. Travel to the Island by either vehicle barge or water taxi both of which depart from middle street Cleveland. Both boats dock at Dunwich on the bay side of the island. Buses meet every water taxi and transport to Point Lookout. Cylinder Beach is our usual venue but once again this is established the night before taking conditions into consideration.
Straddie Flyer 0732861964